WeLEAP: Strategic Training for Future Healthcare Professionals
WeLEAP stands for WEllness Leadership, Ethics, Applied Economics, and Professionalism.
WeLEAP is hosted at the UT San Antonio Medical School and is a free monthly program, provided by The Patient Institute, to enhance the training of future physicians and other healthcare professionals.
WeLEAP 2016-2017 was a success! Planning for 2017-2018 has already begun, stay tuned!
Click here for the WE LEAP brochure
WeLEAP Board Members 2017-2018
Chair of WeLEAP
Co-Chair of WeLEAP
Public Relations Chair of WeLEAP
Director of Social Media of WeLEAP
UIWSOM Co-Chair of WeLEAP
UTSA Co-Chair of WeLEAP
Why participate in WeLEAP?
- Gain the skills and tools to become an effective and caring provider while also knowing when to care for yourself
- Take advantage of the opportunity to speak with practicing physicians and other healthcare professionals
- Participate in interactive presentations from experts in the field
What topics are covered?
- Leadership & Professionalism
- Negotiation & Strategic Planning
- Health Literacy
- Quality & Safety
- Personal Business / Financial Planning
- Legal 101
- Planning an Academic Career
When is WeLEAP?
WeLEAP will begin meeting monthly starting on Thursday, September 7th, 2017 from 5-6pm at the UTHSCSA (7703 Floyd Curl Dr). Room 209-L. Sessions will continue through the academic year with future dates to come for the spring.
Follow us on Instagram and Facebook for our Live Broadcasts:
Instagram : @weleapprogram
Fall Seminar Schedule: 5:00-6:00pm
Thursday, September 7th, 2017 - Happiness & Global Health
Jacqueline Dansby, Ph.D., Director Upward Bound Pre-College Program, Adjunct Faculty at St. Mary’s University
Jason Rosenfeld MPH, Assistant Director for Global Health at UTHSCSA
Friday, October 13th, 2017 - Nutrition & Medical School
Dr. Bruno Doiron, Ph.D., Assistant Professor at UTSA, Assistant Professor at UTHSCSA
Oliver Batiste Jr. - UTHSCSA 4th year Medical Student
Thursday, November 9th, 2017 - Legal Medicine & Personal Finance
Graciela Cigarroa, J.D., LL.M., Attorney, Director, The Patient Institute, General Counsel at CentroMed
George P. Becknell, III, CLU, ChFC, CFBS, Financial Planner specializing in assisting physicians
Thursday, December 7th, 2017 - Ethics & Medical Humanities
Phillip Holcomb, Ph.D., Adjunct Faculty and Professor of Geriatrics, Gerontology and Palliative Medicine at UTHSCSA
Mark A. Clark, Ph.D., Associate Professor at UIW, Medical Humanist
How much does WeLEAP cost?
As a student, by registering, you will have access to seminars assessing every aspect that a career in healthcare has to offer.
This is priceless.
What are examples of past expert WeLEAP speakers?
- Karen Aufdemorte, MHA, Center for Patient Safety and Health Policy at the UTHSCSA
- George P. Becknell, III, CLU, ChFC, CFBS, Financial Planner specializing in assisting physicians, past president of the San Antonio Sports Foundation
- Graciela Cigarroa, J.D., LL.M., Attorney, Director, The Patient Institute, General Counsel at CentroMed
- Jacqueline Dansby, Ph.D., Director Upward Bound Pre-College Program and Adjunct Faculty at St. Mary’s University
- Phillip Holcomb, Ph.D., Adjunct Faculty and Professor of Geriatrics, Gerontology and Palliative Medicine at UTHSCSA
- Carlos N. Moreno, AIA Principal, Director, The Patient Institute, Partner at THW Design
- Adam V. Ratner, M.D., F.A.C.R., Chair, The Patient Institute, Clinical Professor Radiology UTHSCSA
- Varda H. Ratner, MBA, President and CEO of The Patient Institute
- Larry L. Roberson, J.D., Bexar County District Attorney’s Office-Civil Division, Chairman of Supervisory Committee, SAFCU
- Melanie Stone, MPH, M.Ed., Director of Community Service Learning Program-Center for Medical Humanities & Ethics at UTHSCSA
- Beverley Wright, R.N., B.A., Senior Operations Clinical Advisor for Aspen Medical USA, Adjunct Professor at the University of New South Wales and The Canberra University
How do I sign up?
For more information, please contact:
Janet Poole, Secretary
The Patient Institute
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
WE LEAP 2016-2017 Photos
Session 1 (9.13.16)
Session 3 (11.15.16)
Session 2 (10.11.16)
Session 4 (12.13.16)
Session 5 (2.21.17)
Session 6 (3.21.17)
Session 7 (4.11.17)
Our internships, available for course credit, inspire, inform, and connect the next generation of healthcare and non-profit leaders. Please contact us for more information.