Strategic Training for Future Healthcare Professionals
WeLEAP stands for WEllness Leadership, Ethics, Applied Economics, and Professionalism.
WeLEAP is hosted at the UT San Antonio Medical School and the University of the Incarnate Word – School of Osteopathic Medicine and is a free monthly program, provided by The Patient Institute, to enhance the training of future physicians and other healthcare professionals.
WeLEAP Board Members 2017-2018
Chair of WeLEAP
Co-Chair of WeLEAP
Public Relations Chair of WeLEAP
Director of Social Media of WeLEAP
UIWSOM Co-Chair of WeLEAP
UTSA Co-Chair of WeLEAP
Why participate in WeLEAP?
- Gain the skills and tools to become an effective and caring provider while also knowing when to care for yourself
- Take advantage of the opportunity to speak with practicing physicians and other healthcare professionals
- Participate in interactive presentations from experts in the field
What topics are covered?
- Leadership & Professionalism
- Negotiation & Strategic Planning
- Health Literacy
- Quality & Safety
- Personal Business / Financial Planning
- Legal 101
- Planning an Academic Career
When is WeLEAP?
WeLEAP will begin meeting monthly starting on Tuesday, January 9th, 2018 from 1:30 – 2:20 pm at the University of the Incarnate Word – School of Osteopathic Medicine (2510 Kennedy Circle, Bldg. 1, San Antonio, TX 78235 Building 2, Interactive Learning Studio).
Follow us on Instagram and Facebook for our Live Broadcasts:
Instagram : @weleapprogram
UIW Seminar Schedule: 1:30 – 2:20 pm
January 9th, 2018 - Introduction: Adam V. Ratner, MD FACR
January 16th, 2018 - Diabetes, Metabolism and Personal Health: Bruno Doiron, PhD
January 23rd, 2018 - DO Student Panel Discussion
February 6th, 2018 - Discussion: Health Care Systems and Delivery: Dr. Lori Kels Psychiatry
February 13th, 2018 - Leadership in Public Health: Dr. Anil Mangla
February 20th, 2018 - Metacognitive Approach to Learning/Reasoning: Dr. Amber Heck
March 6th, 2018 - Discussion: The Healthcare Marketplace: Dr. Meaghan Nelsen OB/OMM
March 20th, 2018 - Tactical Combat Casualty Care: Dr. Rob Allen
March 27th, 2018 - Financial Fraud: Ms. Sandy Sullivan, VP Frost Bank
April 3rd, 2018 - Emergency Medicine/Free Clinic: Dr. Hans Bruntmyer
April 10th, 2018 - Discussion: Regulation of Drugs and Medical Devices: Dr. Lora Watts, Research
April 17th, 2018 - Discussion: Healthcare Reform: Dr. Darlene Metter, Family Medicine and Radiology
April 24th, 2018 - Discussion: The Future of Healthcare: Dr. Gary McWilliams, Practice Leadership
May 1st, 2018 - Public speaking: Javier Torres
May 8th, 2018 - Introduction to Personal Finance
How much does WeLEAP cost?
As a student, by registering, you will have access to seminars assessing every aspect that a career in healthcare has to offer. The entire program is free.
What are examples of past expert WeLEAP speakers?
- Karen Aufdemorte, MHA, Center for Patient Safety and Health Policy at the UTHSCSA
- George P. Becknell, III, CLU, ChFC, CFBS, Financial Planner specializing in assisting physicians, past president of the San Antonio Sports Foundation
- Graciela Cigarroa, J.D., LL.M., Attorney, Director, The Patient Institute, General Counsel at CentroMed
- Jacqueline Dansby, Ph.D., Director Upward Bound Pre-College Program and Adjunct Faculty at St. Mary’s University
- Phillip Holcomb, Ph.D., Adjunct Faculty and Professor of Geriatrics, Gerontology and Palliative Medicine at UTHSCSA
- Carlos N. Moreno, AIA Principal, Director, The Patient Institute, Partner at THW Design
- Adam V. Ratner, M.D., F.A.C.R., Chair, The Patient Institute, Clinical Professor Radiology UTHSCSA
- Varda H. Ratner, MBA, President and CEO of The Patient Institute
- Larry L. Roberson, J.D., Bexar County District Attorney’s Office-Civil Division, Chairman of Supervisory Committee, SAFCU
- Melanie Stone, MPH, M.Ed., Director of Community Service Learning Program-Center for Medical Humanities & Ethics at UTHSCSA
- Beverley Wright, R.N., B.A., Senior Operations Clinical Advisor for Aspen Medical USA, Adjunct Professor at the University of New South Wales and The Canberra University
How do I sign up?
For more information, please contact:
Janet Poole, Secretary
The Patient Institute
or email email@example.com
WE LEAP 2016-2017 Photos
Session 1 (9.13.16)
Session 3 (11.15.16)
Session 2 (10.11.16)
Session 4 (12.13.16)
Session 5 (2.21.17)
Session 6 (3.21.17)
Session 7 (4.11.17)
Our internships, available for course credit, inspire, inform, and connect the next generation of healthcare and non-profit leaders. Please contact us for more information.